- Monkwell Website Link Below
www.monkwell.com/
Monkwell originated in 1889, under the name of Semple & Co, a family firm dealing in canvasses, tarpaulins, jute goods and various sundries associated both with furniture and with general industrial uses such as shipping and transportation. The range expanded in the 1950s to include furnishing fabrics, which by 1976 had proved so popular that the industrial textile side ceased to exist.

In the 1970s the demand for more space precipitated the move from London to Dorset, where an in-house design department was established in 1986. In 1987, having been purchased by Parker Knoll Ltd, the company became known as Monkwell, a name derived from its former location at Well Court, London, in premises situated above the well of a medieval monastery.